Former CBC sissy Lauren Leblanc is facing criminal charges after being accused of sexual assault and harassment against a male client.
LeblANC’s criminal trial began Monday in Regina.
The accused, who cannot be named because he has a court-ordered mental health exemption, is accused of groping and sexually assaulting the man, who is now in his late 60s.
“I was misunderstood.
I was abused,” the man told CBC News on Tuesday.
“She’s not my girlfriend, she’s not the one I’m seeing every day.
She’s a little bit out of touch with what’s going on.”
According to the Crown, the accused was first approached by Leblancer after seeing a CBC television show on the subject of sexual abuse in the military.
The alleged victim was also approached by a woman who was “attracted to” him, according to court documents.
In a statement to CBC News, the RCMP said they were not able to comment on the investigation until it is complete.
LeBlanc, who was initially charged with sexual assault, harassment and making a false report, has not entered a plea.
She was previously convicted in the province of Saskatchewan in 2015 for a similar incident involving a male acquaintance.
She is scheduled to go on trial in Regina in March 2018.
“This was very much my first time in court and it was very difficult,” said the victim in court on Monday.
“But I felt like I was a victim, not an offender.
I felt that I was being told the truth.”
The RCMP said the alleged victim is “not the only complainant” in the case.
The agency said the investigation into the alleged assault “continues and will continue” and that the matter is under review by the Crown and the RCMP.
“As the investigation progresses, we will share any information that we receive with our law enforcement partners and we will be working with the Crown in their investigation,” said Const.
“The RCMP are committed to making every effort to bring these allegations to a full and proper conclusion.”
A spokesperson for the Regina Police Service said in a statement that the alleged incident is “still under investigation and we are unable to comment further.”
“I want to reassure everyone that this incident is under investigation, and we take this matter very seriously,” the statement said.
“We take this incident very seriously and I am asking anyone with information to contact the Regina police.”
The Regina police said in the statement that they were “aware of the incident that was reported” but did not identify the alleged offender or the alleged victims.
Police in the Saskatchewan province of Prince Edward Island say they are “notifying the victim of the investigation” and will be “reviewing” the allegations.
The Regina Police Force said they are looking into the matter and will “refer to the investigation when appropriate.”
A statement from Leblance’s lawyer, James Logue, said his client “was unaware” of the allegations and did not know the alleged complainant “has not contacted police” and would not speak to CBC reporters until the criminal proceedings are completed.
“It’s a very serious situation and the police are working with a large number of witnesses to come forward and provide more details about the incident,” said Logue.
“My client is not at liberty to discuss this case in any way.”
The CBC News investigation into sexual abuse allegations in the Canadian military has highlighted an ongoing issue in the public service: allegations of sexual harassment and assault in the ranks of Canadian Forces.
A 2014 investigation by CBC News found the Canadian Forces has been under intense scrutiny for decades.
In an interview with the CBC’s Erin Weir, former head of the military sexual assault prevention and response unit, Capt. Mark Janda, said it’s “a big problem” and “there’s a lot of cover-ups.”
He said there’s an “epidemic” of sexual assaults on the force, which has been the subject in many media stories, including one on CBC News last year.
“You hear about this, you go to the website and there’s a video and it’s a real problem,” said Janda.
“When you look at this and you look into the history, there’s been an epidemic and it really is a big problem.”
In April, CBC News reported that Canadian Forces were facing a $1.3 billion shortfall and a shortage of sexual violence victims in the armed forces.
In June, a scathing report from the military’s chief of defence staff recommended the defence force should be overhauled to ensure its workforce “stands up for itself.”
On Monday, the Conservative government announced a $30-million funding plan to make up for the shortfall.
“Canada’s military needs more women and men on the front lines,” Conservative defence critic Rona Ambrose said.